Sunday 5 July 2015

Getting fit for the summer

Bring on the summer! If you're anything like me then as soon as it turns July, I'm in full on summer mode- no matter how many days I've got left at school. But you know what this means: bikini season. *groans* As I was scrolling through Topshop bikinis whilst single handedly devouring a family box of maltesers, I realised that this means one thing. Summer bodies.

Now, before everyone gets all angry, let me just say that it's not about being skinny. I am of the belief that everyone should love their own body. However, for the summer, you may want to work on your body to feel as confident as you can whilst strutting your stuff in an amazing bikini. So if you're looking to shed some of your emotional eating fat or get your torso looking like a stack of bricks... Here is my best advice for you:

 


Pilates

Basically, for those of you that have never heard of pilates, they're short routines (5-15 minutes) that are made up of different repeated moves that focus on specific parts of the body. For example, if you're looking to tighten and round your bum, there are 10 minute videos that focus specifically on your bum. Pilate sessions are available at gyms and health centres but I've never been and as my blog is aimed for students, I wanted to show that you don't always have to spend loads of money!

I'm sure there are lots of youtube pilate channels, just type in what you want to work on and you'll get 1000's of results. But if you don't really know where to start, I really recommend Blogilates. About 2 years ago, I stumbled upon the YouTube channel. It's run by a fitness instructor called Cassie; she's so motivational and bubbly that it really inspires you to work out. As I said before, there are 100's of videos focussing on everything from arms to thighs to your complete bikini body.

I think pilates are especially good because you don't need any expensive equipment or space. Literally I will do videos just lying on the floor in my lounge or bedroom. Getting a mat can be helpful but is definitely not necessary. They're also quite fun to do with mates so if you're feeling inspired by a Kardashians new selfie that *not so discreetly* shows off their bum, get the girls together and start squatting.


Eat healthy

Okay don't roll your eyes. I know hearing people going on about eating super healthy on a "no sweet, no sugar, no carb diet" is just plain annoying. I eat just as much - and probably more - than the next person but sometimes I do go on a good health spree. To do this I focus on preparing homemade lunch and dinners and having a healthy breakfast. But naturally, I allow myself some pretty unhealthy treats in between to keep it all in balance. Things like couscous salads, omelettes, smoothies, musili and baguettes filled with salads are all great foods to try. I am going to go into a bit more detail with some healthy/easy food recipes soon but for now juts remember that getting fit is 70% diet and 30% exercise so be mindful of what you are shoving in your face!


Back to exercise

So if you are younger then you might not have ever been to the gym, but for a quick full on fat burning day, they are excellent resources to use. I go every now and then, mostly to go on the running machines. Personally I find my local gym a bit expensive to go weekly but the odd day here and there can really help. Once you're in and paid, make sure you vary the exercising you do. Although cardio is probably the most useful, try using weights or gym equipment to focus on areas you feel need more work.

Whenever I go to the gym, I go with a couple of mates and it's actually quite fun despite all sweating buckets by the end. Also, I found it less intimidating going with my friends, especially when you're 16-17 as you will probably be some of the youngest people in the gym.


Finally, as it's the summer and you want to get fit, it's probably the best time to start exercising outside. The days are long and it's not too cold so start jogging, walking or cycling around your local neighbourhood daily. Obviously it helps keep you fit but also being outside more often every day actually helps lift your spirits. I'd 100% recommend taking a friend as running on your own (even during the summer), probably isn't the best idea. If you live in a city, take a trip up to a local park and just fast walk around a couple of times with your friends. Can you imagine how much gossiping you could get done?!

Other tips:
  • Try yoga as it is really relaxing and helps strengthen your core
  • If you feel more confident when your body is tanned then get a fake tan!! Gurl no one is gonna judge it's summer
  • Drink lots of water (and vodk... um I mean smoothies?)
  • Try creating a morning and evening exercise routine so it just becomes a daily habit
  • DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF... ever
  • If you have a free day during the summer, plan to make a more complex & interesting dinner. You could even go to your local supermarket to buy new ingredients.

I hope this helped some of you and good luck achieving the best you for the summer!
See you next time,
 
*Check out the Blogiates Youtube channel here*

6 comments:

  1. You mention some great tips in this post. I need to remember to eat lunch and make it myself, at home, the day before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you enjoyed it! Same, I always feel so much healthier if I've made a meal myself because I know exactly what's In it.

      Delete
  2. I love Blogilates too! I stumbled upon Cassey's video last year and was addicted to her workout routines, this summer I started doing Kayla Itsine's BBG guides though, I wanted some workout where I didn't need to keep turning on Youtube or the internet. You should check it out too!

    xx Wendy
    http://livingvazzy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, she's amazing! Ooh cool thank you, that would actually be really useful. I will definitely check it out :) x

      Delete
  3. I definitely need to start getting in shape this summer and these tips are really helpful! Defo going to check out blogilates. Thank you!

    http://liftthelyd.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha same and thank you! Cool, she's fab, tell me what you think of her :) x

      Delete