Monday 13 July 2015

Bikini Shopping Rundown

You may have noticed that a lot of my posts recently have been very summer based, and today is no different.

Recently I have been in the market for a new bikini for my summer holiday but have noticed that it is actually quite hard to find the perfect bikini because of the variety between shops. However I visited most shops I could think of so have a pretty good overview on where to get different styles/priced bikinis; I thought I'd share that with you today...
 
 
 
 
The royalty when it comes to swim wear. If you have around 50 dollars/pounds to spend on 1 bikini top then stop reading this blog right now and get your cute little butt over to Victoria Secret. They have a great range with every style/colour imaginable. From extreme push up to small and skimpy, Victoria Secret is bound to have a bikini you love. But unless you have £50 to spend then save yourself the torture and just avoid VS at all costs.
 
My friend and I tried on a VS bikini top which was so perfect, we fell in love. Before realising that it was £54 which was extortionate and we had no way to buy it. Instead of boosting our mood, it made us feel disappointed and angry and meant that any bikini that followed looked stupid. So trust me when I say, unless you have the money, don't go near Victoria Secret.
 
 
 
I finally decided on a couple of New Look bikinis to buy this year. I love that they have a range of styles but it is not too expensive (normally around £15.) They are one of the only high street stores that does push up nearly as well as Victoria Secret (the bikini in the picture on the left is push up), so if you are looking for the push up style, I would recommend New Look.
 
They also do some realise nice dupes of the Triangl bikinis. Rather than paying about £80 for a bikini, they do similar looking ones for about £15. New Look also has a really good range for bustier women, as well as your average coloured bikinis.
 
What I really like about their range is the variation of plain styled bikinis in either colours or floral patterns as well as more unique/interesting bikinis for people who like to push the boat out (bikini wise...)
 
 
Primark
 
As always with Primark, it's bikinis are cheap and cheerful. But don't rule them out at all. My friend tried on the bikini top in the picture above and absolutely loved it so for £6 she bought it in all available colours.
 
Primark always has a good range of bikinis. It may not have the fancy styles or as many good push ups but for £3-7, what could go wrong? Even if you bought a more expensive bikini top, you could then go to Primark to get a cheaper bikini bottoms (as I'm all about mix and matching), so together it's not a stupidly expensive set. If you're getting stuck on where else to look for bikinis, have a look in Primark, you may not regret it.
 
 
 
Okay, I know I'm going to have lots of disagreement on this one but I just have to put it out there:
I don't like Topshop swimwear.
I think the range is quite small and is designed to only suit a certain body type. A lot of their stuff is very hard to look good in and overly complicated. Online they do not have a specific section for bustier women or any push ups which creates a limited range only properly designed for one body type.
 
I always feel as though they try so hard to be super fashionable and forward thinking, that they forget that their bikinis have got to look good on your average women. Because in the end, it's us that are buying Topshop bikinis, not super models.
 
Price wise, it's pretty decent. About £15-20 for a basic bikini, but again if you are tight on money then this might be a bit of a stretch.
 
I'm not saying don't have a look, but compared to their variety of clothes and other shops, their bikini range just isn't big enough and does not accommodate for enough people.
 
 
 
For some reason I always over look Debenhams when looking for clothes and swimwear. But after my mum mentioned it I looked online and visited a store and I was really impressed. As expected, their range is huge. Maybe even better than New Look. There is plenty of everything from push up to DD+ to plus size bikinis.
 
Understandably, the style of the bikinis is generally a bit older than the ones in Top shop or New Look. There are less extravagant straps and 'cage like' bikinis. But they have some beautiful basic bikinis with cute detailing as well as plenty of floral and other patterns.
 
They are certainly not cheap though, some bikini tops reaching £25+, however a lot of them are on sale right now, bringing them down to some very reasonable prices.
You may not find the most modern high end type bikini in Debenhams but I am sure that you would find a bikini that suits/fits you as there is such a massive range.

 

 
Understandably, Tesco isn't the first place you think of when you think of bikini shopping, but you might be surprised. I bought a bikini from there last year and when I told people it was from Tesco, they were flabbergasted. I mean, their range isn't brilliant but they do have quite a few bikinis that would not look out of place in New Look. Look thoroughly and you'll find a few push ups, along with their bikinis designed for bustier women!
 
 Where supermarkets comes into their own is their pricing. Both of the bikini tops above are £8 but they are the most expensive! Most of their bikini tops are around £6, pretty good eh? I'm not saying go to the supermarket instead of bikini shopping this year, I'm saying have a look if you're there and you might be pleasantly surprised.
 
*It's not just Tescos either. I know for a fact that Sainsburys have some nice bikinis!*
 

Online
 
If you are a big online shopper, then you have even more of a choice. There are some great sites that have amazing ranges of swimwear! My favourites are:
 
 

 
 
I spend hours and hours scrolling through the swimwear on these 3 sites and let me tell you, you are bound to find something you love. However I can't talk properly about them because I am not an online shopper (as I like to try stuff on) so I have never bought a bikini from any of these sites.
 
But if you are someone that shops online then take a look, there's bound to be some kind of offer on!
 
I hope this helped you with your bikini search! Remember to get a bikini that suits you rather than a bikini that is considered fashionable. You're always going to look better in something that fits/suits you well!
 
Thanks for reading and I'll see you next time!
Please share if you think this would benefit someone else...
Laura Stone x
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This has been such a problem for me lately! I find most one-piece suits that fit around my hips, etc well are too short in the torso, bikini tops are largely made for people with smaller busts than I have, and though they do 'fit' they look ridiculous. I actually prefer tankinis but those are few and far between! Ridiculous!

    Thank you for posting some shop links, though, and some thoughts! Definitely helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely fine, thanks for reading!! I totally agree (although I personally am not a "bustier woman") that most bikinis are made for smaller busts which is unfair. I've heard a lot of people say that. I guess it's good that some shops are trying- I actually got angry at Topshop's range as it was so clearly only designed for one body type. Hmm I've never tried a tankini, but If I see one I will be sure to try it on.

      Thanks for reading and good luck :) x

      Delete