Monday 1 June 2015

Prom: Do's & Dont's

Hello all.

For some of us, prom has been and gone. I can't really describe the experience but it was definitely something.

Anyway, for those of you who have got prom once exams have finished, you might still be organising your many appointments and salon visits ready for the big day. But it's quite hard to decide what to get done and what to just leave to do yourself. So today I'm going to do a quick run down on what to get done professionally and what is a waste of time. Lets get straight into it...

These are the actual Dunne stilettos I got

Heels

Did I wear heels?
Of course gurl, 5 inches and all

Would I get heels next time?
100%! So my feet may of been killing me after a couple of hours but c'mon... shoes are my favourite! I just think that a stunning pair of stilettos can add sophistication and sex appeal to your whole look (as well as giving your behind an instant lift.)

Would I recommend getting heels?

I would say that you need to balance comfort with appearance for prom. If you can't walk in heels then just go with a classy pair of pumps (especially if you're wearing a short prom dress.) Because there's nothing worse than someone who cannot physically move all night because of their shoes. Try getting slightly smaller heels and just practise round the house a month in advance. But at the end of the day, heels are a part of prom and all girls are in the same boat!!


Fake tan

Did I get a fake tan?
Yass. I got my first professional spray tan at my year 11 prom.

Would I get a spray tan if I went to prom again?
Um... probably. It's not vital but I did like how it looked.

Would I recommend it?

There's so many ways you can fake tan before prom and I think across our year, we had them all. Some people started gradually tanning early. Some people did their own with shop bought fake tans. (Check out my blog post on best budget fake tans here.) And some people- including myself- got a professional spray tan.

If you want something more subtle then doing your own is a great way. But be careful because I saw so many girls with patchy uneven tans that they'd done themselves. I really enjoyed getting a professional tan and if you're looking for an even but slightly more obvious tan, that's the way to go. A lot of people noticed and complimented and I loved the way it made my legs look. Overall, getting a fake tan is nice (especially if your dress colour suits more tanned skin), but it's not vital and you can look equally as stunning with your skin au natural.

Fake nails


Did I get fake nails?
I certainly did.

Would I get them again if I went to prom again?
Probably not this time, I am sorry guys.

Would I recommend it?
Ugh, these nails look so stunning but I'm sorry, it is impossible to function with fake nails on. I did them literally 20 minutes before I left so as not to accidently knock one off, but they were still a pain in the ass. I could not type on my phone, take pictures or even eat properly. Half of them came off throughout the evening which was also a bit shitty. I have short nails so I understand if you want to have long nice nails for one night, but I would recommend getting acrylics or just a manicure to make your nails look stunning rather than fake nails.


Fake eyelashes

Did I get fake eyelashes?
No I didn't, but some of my friends did

Would I get them if I went again?
Possibly yes actually, instead of fake nails.

Why?
I feel like fake eyelashes would just add something to your makeup look. Really drawing attention to and opening up your eyes in photos. Some of my friends were saying they were slightly annoying because they were a bit heavy but then at least they didn't come off like my fake nails. I just didn't get them because I felt I'd already spent quite a lot...

My hair doesn't look very good here because the curls haven't become 'loose' yet

Makeup and hair done professionally

Did I get my makeup and hair done professionally?
I did and I LOVED it!!!

Would I do it again?
Yes, I wish I could have it done everyday *cries inside*

Recommendations

I think it really adds to the experience to get your makeup and hair done professionally. I went to Benefit in my local John Lewis who did my makeup for £25. It was so lovely, this lady was so nice and did my makeup amazingly. She did my smoky eye, I was my own "goals" for once. They used their own products so it all stayed looking perfect all night. For once, I had cheekbones because she could actually contour (whereas I just fail when it comes to contouring.)

My best friend and I then went to get my hair done which was equally as fun. It was so sophisticated and there were so many ladies commenting on how stunning I looked (which I'm not going to lie, felt really nice.) As well as it being fun to be pampered and fussed over for once, it also takes the pressure of as you don't have to try and do your own makeup and hair at home.

Okay, the last ones a bit weird but it might be helpful for some of you that are dreading prom...

 
Get drunk before prom

Did I get drunk before my prom?
Well... Not really. I wasn't drunk but maybe a lil tipsy

Would I do it again?
Probably actually, I'll explain:

There's a temptation to go all and just get completely pissed before prom. Not a good idea. You wanna look decent for photos and you want to actually be able to remember the night. I had some Pimms and (not gonna lie to you), a shot a vodka. I'm not a light weight so that just made me a bit more confident. It's completely up to you and depends on how much you can take but that's just what I did.

Okay that's it for now guys. I hope you enjoyed my quick run down on some do's and dont's for your own prom night. Most importantly, have fun and look fab!

Thanks for reading, feel free to share with anyone else you know that's got prom coming up.

Laura Stone x

3 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely and helpful post for prom nights, makes me feel all nostalgic as mine was 5 years ago now! :) Gave your lovely blog a follow

    Elle du Jour  xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, and yeah I guess prom is one of those things you'll always look back on! Thank you so much, it means a lot to me :)

      Laura x

      Delete
  2. Some good tips! My prom was aaaages ago now and the only thing I had professionally done was my hair - which looked great!!
    If I had my time over I'd definitely get my eyebrows done but I'd still do my own makeup, just practise a bit more first :P
    The Everyday Life of Rachel

    ReplyDelete