Monday 25 May 2015

Best budget fake tans

With summer round the corner, you might be starting to think about fake tans. Whether it's for a special event or to get your perfect bikini body, sometimes a fake tan can do wonders. It's important to get a good one, but they're not always expensive. I've tried quite a few so today I am going to be sharing my favourite budget fake tans with you.

First though I'm going to talk about fake tanning quickly. There is a lot of negative connotations around fake tanning so I wanted to share my view. Yes, some people take fake tanning to the extreme but in a "normal amount" I think it's a fine thing to do. I look at it like someone dying their hair a darker shade. They normally do it because they either want darker hair, want a change or are more confident with darker hair. I fake tan because personally I think I look better more tanned so it gives me confidence when I have to show my legs. That's it.

I also wanted to add something to think about. For all those people saying that they're all natural so don't fake tan, just remember that actually naturally tanning is a lot more dangerous than fake tanning. After doing GCSE physics, it was hammered into me that UV rays from the sun can cause burns, cell mutations and eventually skin cancer. I know that's a pretty dark thing to say and I'm not saying sun tanning is going to give you cancer. But it does damage your skin quite badly, a lot worse than fake tanning. So another one of my reasons for fake tanning is that it's better for me than lying in the sun for hours hoping to get a little bit tanned.

Okay, onto the best budget fake tanners...


 
The first fake tan I ever used was the Superdrug own 'Solait' range, and it wasn't half bad. Inparticularly, I used the lotion for £6.99. It turns your skin dark an sticky for a bit but once it's washed off, it's a nicely tanned colour. It's a typical tanner (the smell and all) but for £7, I would recommend it (and a glove to go with it.)
 
 
 
If you want something a little more expensive but easier to apply and a tad more natural, try the Ambre Solaire range. I have tried their mist for £11.69. It 'specializes' in being streak free which makes it easier to apply. I also recommend the mousse if you do not like sprays.
 
 
 
My 3rd recommendation is a bit out there but just listen. Professional spray tan. I got my first professional spray tan before my year 11 prom and I have had quite a few since then. And get this... it was only £14! I know that might not be as budget because it's only one spray but if you have a local beauty bar or anywhere, use it! It gives you an even colour rather than struggling with your face and other patchy areas.
 
 
This isn't technically a fake but is worth an honoury mention. The Dove Gradual Tanner is a moisturizer that gradually tans you; I have lent this to so many friends who have then loved it and gone out to get it themselves. It doesn't have the same fake smell like the Palmer's fake tanner does, but it does build up your tan substantially. It's £5.25 from Boots. so pretty budget and suitable for the summer.
 
 
As well as the Superdrug own, I also think the Boots own fake tanner is worth talking about. I have tried both the mousse and the lotion. I think the mousse is nice, pretty basic. It doesn't smell pungent but nothing special. I thought the lotion was interesting though, it made my legs look amazing. It added a shimmer (quite a subtle one though) and was also dark. I suggest this one just for legs or body rather than arms or harder areas.
 
 
I hope you enjoyed my quick run down of my favourite budget fake tanners, remember that not everything cheap is naff! I know these weren't very detailed reviews, let me know if you want detailed reviews and applications of a certain product. If you enjoyed this, let me know and I might do some other posts on fake tanners. Like how to apply/maintain them or my favourite high end tanners.
 
 I hope you're all doing well, whether studying or stating to planning your summers, I wish you all the best!
 
Laura Stone x
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with fake tanning but only use light shades as they come out looking more natural on me as I'm fair skinned! I have the garnier spray aswell but I find it gathers at the elbow and I get really orange patches!! I love the garnier gradual tan or St Moriz mousse is the best! I usually apply it in the evening them showering in the morning! It says it's wash off but because you leave it on all night it does soak into the skin and leaves a lovely glow! Definitely recommend it! Katie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, and you're right, I normally go for the lighter shades as well to avoid looking like a tangerine! Yeah, elbows are always hard for me so I normally exfoliate then moisturise with something really thick before fake tanning on my elbows. Sounds great, I've actually always wanted to try St Moriz. I don't know why I haven't before actually. Thanks for the recommendation :) Laura x

      Delete
  2. I wasn't too keen on the Dove one when I tried it a few years ago, it made me a funny yellow colour which I really didn't like. I've gone off gradual tans and more onto the proper fake tans, I love the Cocoa Brown one hour one, I've had boots' own mousse which was okay but it wasn't the best one I've tried. I might try the Garnier one next

    Emma emhasrednails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree, I'm starting to prefer actual fake tan to gradual tan because I think it gives a better results. You're right, the boots own one isn't my favourite but I think it's pretty decent for the money :) I do like the garnier ones though, Laura x

      Delete
  3. I've got quite fair skin, so I always have to go for gradual ones, and I love the Palmer's Natural Bronze Gradual Tan - it's so good for a nice glow, without turning you orange, and I think it's pretty reasonable in terms of price.
    Love your blog! X

    ReplyDelete