Thursday 26 February 2015

Exam survival: Sitting down to revise



So, you're motivated and ready to revise. But what now? Today I'm going to talk a bit about how to actually sit down to revise. What you need, where to do it and other tips. Hope this helps someone...




My first tip is to potter about for a bit before you start. This sounds weird, but leave about half an hour before your scheduled revision start to just wander around. So you can do everything that would be on your mind while you should be revising. Whether that's texting your friend to say that you might take a while to reply, or tying your hair up because you love to look fabulous.


Personally, I hate to work when my hairs scruffy and my rooms messy because I feel like I haven't properly got into the day. So I leave a bit of time to braid my hair and shove everything into my wardrobe so I can't see it. You might want to reserve some time to do a final twitter timeline scroll with a cake before sitting down. Then you will feel up to date and not always itching to reach for your phone.


 
That leads us nicely to the Big One: technological distractions. Phones, laptops, tablets. Mixed with twitter, Facebook & tumblr. Together they can take over your life and stop you from getting any work done. It's funny, sometimes I find myself watching videos on how to get straight A's or something, rather than actually working?!

Everyone says just put them on silent and out of reach, but it's more than that! Obviously you should do that... but there are some other things that I do so I don't feel tempted to pick up a device.

Make sure that you finish off any conversations. I can never concentrate if I'm in the middle of a conversation because I always want to check if they've replied and what they've said. So just text close friends that you might be talking to and say that you won't be able to reply as quickly but you'll text them when you can. (During a well deserved break maybe?)
I normally have a quick scroll on twitter before I start so I don't feel left out. (Replace twitter with your social network site of choice.) Sometimes I go as far as turning my notifications off because even that little light popping up can be too tempting!

If you listen to music, try playing it off either an old iPod or Bluetooth speakers so you don't actually have to have your phone/iPod with you.



organizeddesk

Finally, get organised! I've touched on this already but I think it's really important. If you just completely clear a table and shove any clutter around you somewhere you can't see, it will help so much. It helps prevent distractions but also helps clear your mind so you can start revising. Get your books all ready (but only for the subjects you're doing) and your pens laid out.

I suggest either sit close to, or prepare food before you start. All this stops you from having to keep getting up and interrupting your focused revision.

I hope some of these tips help you to actually sit down and start revising. Remember: the earlier you start, the less stressful it will be! If you have any different things you do before revision, leave a comment below as I'd love to hear them.
 
 
Thanks and keep reading
Laura Stone x
 
(This was originally a post I posted on my first blog -Turning Pages- but I thought I'd transfer it over to this blog because its a bit more appropriate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment