Monday 23 February 2015

Exam survival: Revision techniques

Now, you've got your exam timetable and have decided you should really start revising. But how do you revise? I know it can be a bit overwhelming so I'm going to share my best revision tips with you in hope it will help.
1. Mind maps

I bet you're tired of hearing how 'amazing' mind maps are, aren't you? Everyone goes on and on about this magical revision technique... but give them a chance because they are actually pretty good. I used mind maps throughout GCSE's and my first year of A levels, I do really recommend them.

What's important to remember is that your way of mind mapping should not be the same as your friends, because we all work differently. For example, if you take art so you're really creative and love drawing: use that in your mind maps. Include little images and sketches that are going to remind you of different topics. Drawing's aren't limited to those of you that are good at drawing though. I'm awful at drawing but a few stickmen and other simple drawings here and there, help to liven up the revision.
 
 If you think drawing is a waste of time, but still need something to make the mind map easier to look at, use colours. This helps categorise different subjects or make key words stand out. I love using the fineliner coloured pens, with highlighters for key words. But any pens that work for you is good.

2.  Lists
This is kind of like mind maps for people who are a lot more logical thinkers and don't need all the messy mind maps. I have a friend who's incredibly good at all the sciences and maths so he uses lists to revise because he thinks they're neat and clear. He doesn't use any colour but just has a plain black inked list... which works for him and may work for you? But if you like the idea of lists but maybe not that boring, still use colours, just bullet point your work instead of laying it out in a mind map.

Alternatively, you could incorporate lists into your mind map. I often do this when I need to remember lots of points under one topic. For example, if you're doing a mind map on coasts, you could do a list of the 4 types of transportation with a definition by each.


3. Flashcards
A classic right? What I've found with flashcards is that people either love them or hate the idea of them so refuse to try. I used to be the latter but I am now a fully converted flashcard lover. They are simple, effective and really useful for learning key words or statistics. 

 
I know a lot of people think that making flashcards takes too much time and I tend to agree. Instead of sitting down and cutting all the paper out, I do 2 things. I will either buy index cards from a shop (they sell them in most supermarkets) or I make them on my phone. Okay. Let me explain:

Buying index cards from a shop is really cheap and saves you cutting up loads of paper into equal squares. You normally get over 100 in a pack so you're not going to run out. And because they are ready cut, you can just get straight onto writing them. All you really need to write is a key word on one side and the text book definition on the other, simple right.

If writing it all out isn't for you, try getting an app on your phone? That's what I do. There are so many easy apps so  you'll always have them with you, they're quick to make and you can even do little bits of revision if you're stood in an unexpected queue or something. The app I use (on android) is called Supercard Flashcards which you can check out here. But there are loads for both android and apple.

   4. Films/Audio
So those are the main 3 but there are some other (more complicated ones) that work wonders for some people. I have a friend who is really into film and creating short movies. To revise, he creates short animated movies about the topics which he then watches (and lets us all watch, for which we love him.) It makes the information in the movie very memorable and fun. If you're into making animated movies, or even make a more simple yet effective movie on something like educreations (ios), definitely try it out.

Audio involves any kind of sounds that going to help you revise. If you learn best aurally, then this is probably the best option for you. There are plenty of revision audio tracks available if you search the internet. Alternatively, create them yourself? Record yourself saying your own notes and just listen to them whilst you're doing other things (like eating lunch.) No one will know what you're listening to if you've got a standard pair of headphones, don't worry.

There you have it, some killer revision techniques that will have you sailing through your exams. I hope you enjoyed this post and it helped someone out there. Remember: do what you love. Revise in a way that suits you, no one else. In my next 'exam survival', I will be talking about revision tips. Covering topics like organisation and motivation so come back for that!

Hope you enjoyed, please share if you think other people will find it useful!
Laura Stone x

*I was very kindly nominated to do the 'Very Inspiring Blogger' tag by Ellie which hopefully up tomorrow, if not: Wednesday. Thanks so much for nominating me Ellie :) *

1 comment: