Saturday 21 February 2015

Choosing your options: GCSE edition

Choosing your GCSE options.
It may seem like a massive stressful decision that will ruin your life forever if you get it wrong and you'll be homele... Stop. If you think about your choices logically, it's not really that hard. You'll be fine.

I'm not actually sure when the deadline for GCSE option deadline is but I know you can always change them and this may still help future GSCE students.

Firstly, lets put GCSE's into perspective. Obviously, I've already done mine so I went through it all but I'm not going to try and patronise anyone. Even whilst I was doing them, I always looked at GCSE's as a stepping stone rather than an end goal. GCSE's pave the way to A levels (or a different education route), which in turn lead the way to university (if that's what you choose.) So don't think of them as the 'be all and end all' but don't forget that they will directly effect the next step. So my best advice in general is to try your best but take it all with a pinch of salt.

Back to options.

Obviously it is pretty personal depending on the core subjects you have to take, how many extra options you get and so on.

I'm going to assume that you all have to take Sciences, Maths, English's. I had to take ICT, RE and a language then got 3 extra options. But seeing as every schools different, I'm going to assume you only have to take Science's , Maths and English'.

So most people recommend taking a humanity, a language and a more 'creative' subject so that is how I am going to categorise them. But don't let this limit you at all, I didn't take this combination as my extra 3.

Humanities
 
I thought I'd start with the humanities as they are my favs. I took both geography and history which I don't regret for one minute (despite most people being shocked at my choice.) Talking as someone that took both, I think they go great together and if you want to take both, go for it gurl!

History is very much writing based, if you hate writing then it might not be great for you. Nevertheless, what you're actually writing is surprisingly easy. It's just a lot of describing pictures or historical events. The exams are quite intense but if you're a decent writer then you'll be fine. History is one of the top 5 A levels (and rightly so) but at GCSE level, it's pretty decent.
 
Geography is basically case study after case study. That means you'll be basically learning about different places in the world in terms of different topics. Not sure that was very clear so for example, you learn about Blackpool in tourism, China in population (one child policy) and Japan in tectonics. Then all you have to do is remember facts and information about each case study to help answer questions about them. Simple right? The exam isn't too bad either if I'm honest.

RE is quite a good mix of them both. You have case studies like geography, presented in essay questions like history. Obviously its different topics and sometimes its quite easy just to blag yourself through some topics by just having controversial/strong opinions on the subjects.

Languages

If you're good a languages: do them and be proud! I'm not going to describe them separately
because they are all similar courses, just in different languages. Unlike some other subjects, it's quite hard to blag your way through if you're shit at languages (like I am.)
 
They're good if you're decent at languages, but don't force yourself to do it because they 'look good' or 'make up the combination'. Because realistically, its more about grades at GCSE.


Creative
 
Mmm... there's so many and I can't go into detail about all of them because I obviously didn't take them all. To sum up, there's: Art, D&T Woodwork, D&T design, D&T food, Music, Drama, PE (pe isn't technically creative but whatevs.) I took music which I loved and I would highly recommend taking if you're above grade 2 in an instrument, can read basic music and love playing music.


In general, out of those subjects I would just recommend taking the one which interests you the most. As I said, its mostly about the grades (APS) rather than the subject. So choosing one which will brighten up your timetable is your best bet. Forget about academic because you're probably already doing over 10 'academic' subjects, have a lil fun.

Obviously if you want to take any of those subjects at A level, doing it GCSE is a very good (sometimes necessary) idea.

But as you can probably gather from what I've said, my main advice is take what you like and what you're good at! I know that's what everybody says but hopefully some of what I've said has helped? GCSE's are not something to stress about, I think if you like or are good at the subject before, you should be fine because the jump isn't too big. Especially compared to the GCSE - A level jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment